Today I’m going to offer you some of the most important information you’ll ever read about “how to eat raw right”. It’s taken me years to pull together and it’s not just my experience – this stuff has been agreed on by many other leading raw food authorities.
The following principles are vital to a truly healthy raw eating programme. Wherever you’re at with your diet, please always bear these points in mind:
- Whatever diet you choose to eat, aim to make 75% of your plate fresh, ripe, raw and organic fruits and vegetables. Your body is roughly 75% water and your plate needs to mirror that.
- Buy organic and top quality wherever possible – pay with your wallet and not with your health.
- Eat as many green foods a day as possible – whether it’s as a green juice, as part of a salad, within a green smoothie or as a superfood taken alone or in a drink. Aim to incorporate good, vibrant, healthy greens into your diet at least twice and preferably three times a day.
- Aim to drink six glasses of water a day, especially when transitioning/detoxing. As you cleanse and rebuild, you’ll definitely need additional water to flush out those toxic residues. Try not to drink with your meals as this will dilute your digestive juices. If you’re eating a lot of raw foods the desire to drink with your meals will be diminished anyway.
- Only eat when hungry. Very common-sense advice, but most people have to consciously work at this in the beginning. The good news is that the more raw foods you eat, the easier it becomes NOT to eat just for the sake of it.
- Eat just one cooked or heavy raw food per meal (with your large salad plate). By keeping it simple, you’ll really feel the difference and have much more energy.
- Wait at least three hours after eating before snacking. If you’re really hungry before then, eat a bit more of what you just had, or some fresh veggie crudités to avoid potential digestive issues.
- Consider supplementing. It may not be necessary for you, but chances are it is. Either have yourself tested for deficiencies before you begin, or incorporate a good all-round, truly healthy superfood supplement into your diet every day, such as bee pollen, E3 Live or Nature’s Living Superfood.
- Think diversity! Keep trying new foods, new ingredients, new recipes and new ways of doing things. Do your best to eat something from every food group at least three times per week. Variety is the spice of life... and it will give you great health to boot!
- Love everything you eat! Food was meant to be pleasurable, and raw foods should be no different. Choose only the foods that you love, always, and if you don’t find foods that you adore right away, keep looking and keep experimenting because there are hundreds of delicious, healthy and exciting options out there!
© 2012 Karen Knowler WOULD YOU LIKE TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR EZINE OR ON YOUR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete blurb with it: Karen Knowler, The Raw Food Coach publishes "Successfully Raw" - a free weekly eZine for raw food lovers everywhere. If you're ready to look good, feel great and create a raw life you love get your FREE tips, tools and recipes now at www.TheRawFoodCoach.com.