I lived off this room service meal for five days straight whilst on my travels a few years ago in the USA. It was so good that I’m sharing the recipe here.
1 large "slab" of watermelon cut into a rectangle approx. 15cm long x 10cm wide x 3cm tall.
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
1 large heirloom tomato cut into triangles
Balsamic vinegar for dressing (optional)
Side dish of guacamole (I used this to replace the customary goats cheese)
- Cut the watermelon to size (it needs to fit on your plate!) and place in the centre of plate. This acts as the "base" for the rest of the dish.
- Take your spinach and cover the watermelon evenly so it sits nicely on top, with extra leaves surrounding if desired.
- Place the cut tomato (or tomatoes if you are using smaller varieties) artfully on top of the spinach in a line lengthways. Less is more in terms of aesthetics!
- Dress as desired, you may choose to add the guacamole or another denser ingredient to the dish directly or serve on the side.
- Enjoy! This is a really refreshing and satisfying salad that actually seems to digest very well in spite of the melon component.
© 2012 Karen Knowler WOULD YOU LIKE TO USE THIS RECIPE IN YOUR EZINE OR ON YOUR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete blurb with it: Karen Knowler, The Raw Food Coach publishes "Successfully Raw" - a free weekly eZine for raw food lovers everywhere. If you're ready to look good, feel great and create a raw life you love get your FREE tips, tools and recipes now at www.TheRawFoodCoach.com.