Going raw is not only about more than “carrots and apples” it’s also about way more than raw food.
As anyone who has eaten mostly or all raw food for more than a month will tell you, what inevitably follows the desire to eat healthier, is the desire to live healthier in all aspects – internally and externally.
And this all comes down to one central theme – self-love.
Self-love is vital for anyone seeking to live and be their best, after all if we’re not looking after ourselves then we can only ever get to experience a fraction of what’s possible.
So today we’re looking at why you shouldn’t just be focused on what goes in to your mouth, but just as vitally what you’re feeding yourself on every other level too – and here’s why:
1) You can only give what you have to give; if you don't love yourself first you are drawing from an empty well. If you want to love others in a big, love-them-large kind of way, then you have to love yourself large first. Period. Where do you start? Keep reading…
3) When you learn to love yourself you learn to see the innate goodness in yourself and consequently others. You become more human, more forgiving, more nurturing, more real. You are more sensitive to others pain because you have felt your own and have lived to tell the tale. You become more fully alive, more raw, and infinitely more attractive and lovable too! So dive in and explore all you have to offer, so that we can benefit from it too. Self-love is the ultimate act in selflessness, in spite of your first suspicions!
Raw Coaching Challenge #1:
Make a list of 10 great things you can do for yourself today. Even if you can't fit them all in, write them in your diary and commit 100% to doing them.
Top Tip: Think holistically and think of 2 different things for your mind, body, heart and soul and then throw an additional 2 in for good measure. When you cover all four bases like this you feel even better. More rounded, more whole, more loved.
Looking for inspiration? Here's mine.
- Wake up to harmonious music (soul)
- Do the sun salutation yoga sequence (body)
- Have a hot soapy shower using the most decadent (but safe!) shower gel and hair care products (body)
- Spend time writing in my journal feeling what needs to be felt (heart/mind)
- Take time getting dressed and emotionally poised/aligned, ready for the day (heart/mind)
- Ask a deep and meaningful question and draw a Goddess or Self-Care Card (heart/soul)
- Eat only whole, fresh, ripe, raw foods that lift me up and make me feel like a million dollars (body)
- Buy myself something special to honour and acknowledge me (heart)
- Reflect on the day in a hot soapy bath thinking how I can take this self-love thing forward ongoingly (mind)
- An early night to give myself the chance to read, dream, fly, etc.
Raw Coaching Challenge #2:
Ask yourself: "What would be the most self-loving thing I can do for myself today?"
Top Tip: DO NOT think small! Are you in a job you detest? Then quit, or at least plan your escape. Seriously! I have done this four times in my life and it's the best four moves I ever made. Life is too short and YOU KNOW IT! Don't pretend you're not here for a reason - it's time to find your path and step onto it. What are you waiting for?
Are you working too hard and playing too little? Then stop what you're doing and take yourself off to somewhere that means fun or relaxation for you - and yes, without an ounce of question, judgement or guilt. You can stick those in your locker, if only for today. If you can't do it for yourself then take it as coach’s orders! I'm watching you :-).
Raw Coaching Challenge #3:
Aside from what you can do for yourself today, consider deeply: "What will I NOT do today?" How about stopping that negative self-talk for one, about how you're this, that or the other (that you're really not), or buying that coffee on the way to work that you don't really want or enjoy anymore. Or feeling obligated to call/write/email someone because it's expected (but you really don't want to). Or what about the automated pre- or post- work TV habit that's now so entrenched that the remote control seems as much a part of your body as the hand it's resting in? You’ll already know what your own little “not in my best interests” are…
And finally, when you've completed all three coaching challenges and feel sufficiently loved-up within then take that lovin' feeling out into the big wide world and spread it all around. Pay compliments, donate time, money or energy, let another driver pull out in front of you even though you're in hurry, give up your seat on the train, cuddle your son/daughter, cousin, neighbour for more than seems "appropriate". Tell someone you love them - it matters.
© 2011 Karen Knowler WOULD YOU LIKE TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR EZINE OR ON YOUR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete blurb with it: Karen Knowler, The Raw Food Coach publishes "Successfully Raw" - a free weekly eZine for raw food lovers everywhere. If you're ready to look good, feel great and create a raw life you love get your FREE tips, tools and recipes now at www.TheRawFoodCoach.com.