There are a surprising number of different food groups open to us when we go raw. When I first began exploring raw foods aged 20, I was shocked at how many foods and groups of foods I had not touched before I came across the concept of raw food.
Below is a list of all these groups. I advise people to make sure that they are eating a wide range of foods from this list, not least because variety = optimum nutrition, and don't forget quality too, of course.
- Fresh fruits
- Salad vegetables
- Leafy green vegetables
- Wild greens
- Dried fruits
- Beans, pulses and legumes (sprouted)
- Grains (sprouted)
- Sprouting seeds
- Indoor greens
- Vegetable seeds (brocolli, mustard, cress etc.)
- Edible flowers
- Sea vegetables
- Stimulants (onion, garlic, cayenne pepper etc.)
- Flavourings and sweeteners (cacao, agave nectar, mesquite meal etc.)
- Other handy additions (nut butters, seed butters, flax crackers etc.)
And then there’s the all-important vital ingredient – water! But more about that in another post.