But I'm not here to wax lyrical about red roses and angelic archers, although I guess we could have some fun with that... instead I'm here to remind you today that the most important love is the love you have for yourself. Yes, it's time. It's time to feed yourself the best of the best emotionally, not just physically. Today's the perfect day to take a look at that. And here's why.
1) You can only give what you have to give; if you don't love yourself first you are drawing from an empty well. If you want to love others in a big, love-them-large kind of way, then you have to love yourself large first. Period! Where do you start? See later.
2) When self-love is lacking, everything dumbs down. We make poorer choices, we neglect ourselves, we ignore our body, mind and spirit, because, well, Who Cares? The truth of the matter is, if you don't, probably no-one else will - or at least nowhere near as much as you AND you'll be impossible to reach anyway. So care. "Because you're worth it!" (And the world needs you - all in one lovable, huggable and gorgeously grand piece!)
3) When you learn to love yourself you learn to see the innate goodness in yourself and consequently others. You become more human, more forgiving, more nurturing, more real. You are more sensitive to others pain because you have felt your own and have lived to tell the tale. You become more fully alive, more raw, and infinitely more attractive and lovable too! So dive in and explore all you have to offer, so that we can benefit from it too. Self-love is the ultimate act in selflessness, in spite of your first suspicions!
Today's Raw Coaching Challenge #1: Make a list of 10 Great Things you can do for yourself today. Even if you can't fit them all in, write them in your diary and commit 100% to doing them. Top Tip: Think holistically and think of 2 different things for your mind, body, heart and soul and then throw an additional 2 in for good measure. When you cover all 4 bases like this you feel even better. More rounded, more whole, more loved.
Looking for inspiration? Here's mine.
- Wake up to harmonious music (soul)
- Do the sun salutation yoga sequence (body)
- Have a hot soapy shower using the most decadent (but safe!) shower gel and hair care products (body)
- Spend time writing in my journal feeling what needs to be felt (heart/mind)
- Take time getting dressed and emotionally poised/aligned, ready for the day (heart/mind)
- Walk to work instead of driving (body/soul)
- Ask a deep and meaningful question and draw a Goddess or Self-Care Card (heart/soul)
- Eat only whole, fresh, ripe, raw foods that lift me up and make me feel like a million dollars (body)
- Buy myself a special Valentine's present... red roses? white lilies? a new top or new bag? Or whatever takes my fancy, really ; )... (heart)
- Reflect on the day in a hot soapy bath thinking how I can take this self-love thing forward ongoingly (mind)
- And one for luck - an early night to give myself the chance to read, dream, fly (!), etc.
Today's Raw Coaching Challenge #2: Ask yourself: "What would be the most self-loving thing I can do for myself today?" Top Tip: DO NOT think small! Are you in a job you detest? Then quit, or at least plan your escape. Seriously! I have done this 3 times in my life and it's the best 3 moves I ever made. Life is too short and YOU KNOW IT! Don't pretend you're not here for a reason - it's time to find your blueprint and step into it. What are you waiting for? Don't you realise you're holding the rest of us up?! Need help with this? Email me! If you're short on courage, I have it in bucket loads - use me!
Are you working too hard and playing too little? Then stop what you're doing and take yourself off to somewhere that means fun or relaxation for you - and yes, without an ounce of question, judgement or guilt. You can stick those in your locker, if only for today. If you can't do it for yourself then take it as coaches orders! I'm watching you : )
Today's Raw Coaching Challenge #3: Aside from what you can do for yourself today, consider deeply: "What will I NOT do today?" How about stopping that negative self-talk for one, about how you're this, that or the other (that you're really not), or buying that coffee on the way to work that you don't really want or enjoy anymore. Or feeling obligated to call/write/email someone because it's expected (but you really don't want to). Or what about the automated pre- or post- work TV habit that's now so entrenched that the remote control seems as much a part of your body as the hand it's resting in?! I think you know what your own little 'not in my best interests' are!
And finally, when you've completed all 3 coaching challenges and feel sufficiently loved-up within then take that lovin' feelin' out into the big wide world and spread it all around. Pay compliments, donate time, money or energy, let the tractor driver pull out in front of you even though you're in "a helluva hurry", give up your seat on the tube, cuddle your son/daughter, cousin, neighbour for more than seems "appropriate". Tell someone you love them - it matters. We're "a long time dead". You can't go back. Live today while you're still alive. I mean, really live.
Happy Valentine's x